Tuesday 13 February 2007

Cover up- you decide?



It's easy to get carried away with one's own paranoid ideas, especially when the rant gets into full motion. I apologise for trying to put my own ideas in your heads, the facts and evidence should do the talking.

The D'OH (Department of Health) was emailed as regards MMC the other day, not really expecting to get much out of them, just a small amount of hot gas wafted back in my general direction.

I was very surprised when I saw this:

"I can confirm that the Department does also hold correspondence in relation to consultations between Government Ministers and interested parties, including expert advice in the development of policy in this area. However, the Department considers that this information is exempt from disclosure under section 35 of the Freedom of Information Act for reasons set out below.
Section 35 covers the formulation of government policy. While the Department appreciates that there is a general public interest in the availability of information about public sector activity, this must be weighed against the public interest in officials being able to provide frank advice to Ministers in an environment that is as free as possible from public controversy on issues about which opinions may be strongly held. In this case, we have determined that the balance of public interest favours withholding the information."

Cover-up? I'll leave that for you lot to decide. Even my ferrets have their suspicions.

No comments: